September 4 - 10, 2013 | FULL: Get on the waiting list for 2014 today!
Explore the wild coast of British Columbia by boat and come face to face with the rare and beautiful spirit bear!
We're proud to announce our newest photo tour, taking place in the Fall of 2013. Join Max on a week-long adventure in Canada's Great Bear Rainforest, as we search the islands and inlets of Canada's Pacific coast for the mystical white bear that is found nowhere else on earth. Fall is the perfect time to see these and other bears, as they feed on the thousands of salmon that head upstream to spawn. In addition to spirit bears, we'll also look for black bears, grizzly bears, coastal wolves, humpback whales, eagles and other coastal wildlife.
This is a photo adventure, emphasizing exploration and photography in the field rather than classwork. Max will be there to shoot alongside you and help provide optional instruction and tips on photography, including handling the more difficult aspects of forest photography and shooting from a boat. This photo tour is a great fit for anyone from amateurs to professionals looking to photograph one of the rarest animals on earth in one of the most beautiful, rugged coastal environments along the Pacific coast! This tour is limited to four guests, allowing for a more comfortable shooting environment and more one-on-one attention from your guides.
The spirit or Kermode bear is a subspecies of black bear that possesses a genetic trait that causes approximately one in ten bears to be born with white fur. They are truly "white" black bears, not albinos. The only place to find spirit bears is along the coast of British Columbia, particularly in the Great Bear Rainforest (which was set aside for conservation in part to protect this local icon). Only a couple hundred spirit bears are thought to exist. This tour includes a full day at a viewing platform overlooking a river where the spirit bears are known to fish.
- Private accommodation (based on double occupancy), aboard the 54 foot ship, Great Bear II.
- Round trip seaplane transportation from Prince Rupert to Hartley Bay, where we meet the boat.
- All bedding, including duvet with cover, sheets, and pillow(s) with cases complete your bed on board. Bath towels and facecloths are provided on board, with hand towels changed each day in the 2 bathrooms.
- A selection of body washes, shampoos and conditioners are available.
- Guided excursions off the ship, each day.
- Use of fishing gear on board if you'd like to fish. (Tidal fishing licence is not included and must be purchased prior to coming to the ship.)
- One full day at a bear viewing platform with our First Nations guide
- If needed, we supply you with hipwaders to use.
- All meals, snacks and beverages while on board.
- A selection of some of B.C.'s finest wines (all Vintner Quality Assured (VQA) wines), are served with dinners.
- Photo advice and guidance from Max
- The professional services of your Captain/Wildlife Guide, Chef, Crew Person (and First Nations Guide/Watchman on most of the trips).
- Use of kayaks and other equipment on board.
- Permit fees to visit limited access areas.
- First Nations Tourism Development Fees.
Price: 2014 Prices TBD | 2013 Tour is FULL: If you are interested in getting on the waiting list for 2014, see below.
- Applicable taxes (currently at around 12%, though this may drop)
- Airplane or other transportation to Prince Rupert, where we catch the sea plane.
- Accommodation in Prince Rupert (usually one night required at the start of the trip, depending on flight schedules).
- Tidal fishing license if you wish to fish.
- Surcharge for special diets may apply. Please enquire at time of booking.
- Gratuities for Captain, Chef, Crew Person, customary in this business, as well as for First Nations Bear Guides when they guide with us.
A $500pp deposit is required to hold your spot.